How To Pick The Right Surveillance Camera For Your Home Security
June 5th, 2023
When you begin researching home security cameras, you’ll quickly learn there are thousands of options on the market. Each type of home security camera uses different technology, offers unique features, and requires a specific kind of installation. With so many choices, it’s easy to get overwhelmed when trying to pick the right model for your home. However, if you identify your needs and do enough research, you’ll be able to select the right security cameras to meet your needs.
Assess Your Home Security Needs
Which security camera system you choose depends entirely on your home security requirements. There are a couple of factors to consider, including:
- The floor plan and layout of your home and property
- The number of entry points and where they are located
- The value of your possessions
- Your budget
Keep all of these things in mind so that while you are shopping, you’ll be able to determine immediately if a system matches your needs.
Understand The Available Options
There are several types of security cameras, and the most common varieties used in residential security include:
- Bullet Cameras – These are small cameras that can be easily hidden. They work both for indoor and outdoor surveillance.
- Dome – Dome cameras are ceiling-mounted cameras. They are designed for indoors and covered by tinted glass.
- Box – Box cameras are large and designed to be visible to criminals. They are in a sturdy housing that is designed to withstand natural elements.
Beyond the different styles of cameras, there are also coax cameras and internet protocol (IP) cameras. Coax cameras are considered hardwired cameras. They are powered by and record along coax lines. IP cameras are considered “wireless” and use IP to record and store footage. There are benefits to each.
Shop For Different Security Camera Features
Next, you’ll want to do a review of the different features available to see what you would want to utilize in your home. Some of the most popular features include:
- Remote Monitoring – Remote monitoring allows you to live-stream your surveillance camera footage from anywhere with an internet connection.
- High Resolution – High-resolution cameras offer more visibility, allowing you to more easily identify criminals on your property.
- Night Vision – Night vision cameras use infrared technology to provide clear images when the lighting is low. They are useful at night and for any dark areas.
- Weatherproofing – If you live in an area with a lot of inclement weather, you may want to consider a surveillance camera with weatherproofing features.
- Pan/Tilt/Zoom (PTZ) – PTZ cameras let you move the camera so you can get a good look of a suspicious occurrence on your property.
These are just some of the features you can get. With advanced technology, security cameras have become more feature-rich than ever.
These basics will help you narrow down your choices to help pick the right security camera system for your home. Give us a call, and we’ll review some of the great options available so you can pick the one that best meets your needs.